Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Other Side of the Fence -

I've never been on this side of the fence before. That is to say, I've never been the one with the life threatening illness or injury. It's been an eye opener and one I'd like to share. Specifically, I'd like to share two lessons.

First, the importance of a card. The importance of a greeting card, email, phone call, basket, letter, or visit cannot be overstated. I can now personally tell you it's substantially bigger than huge. The knowledge that someone would use their own limited supply of time to find a card, contemplate what to write, seek out an address and mail it to me takes me to my knees. It is such a powerful act, such a statement of caring! To all of you, I can only say thank you, because I don't know a way to pay back what you've given me. It's much needed strength and hope when the body and spirit are being robbed of both and in sore need of resupply. I've received baskets, books, group cards, personally compiled music cd's, stuffed animals, plaques with inspirational words, cards, and offers of helping hands. THANK YOU!

Let me share how I read a card. Please, take no offense, because I know a lot of thought, effort, and time goes into choosing the card and deciding what to write. But I start at the bottom and read who it's from. At that point, whatever words are in the card are drowned out by the roar of the action taken by that person. All I hear is this person cared and I sit in bewilderment and wonderment. Then I read what they write, and don't worry, it's always right. And then, through blurry, tear-filled eyes, I read the prewritten message. The power of the card.....oh, my.......or a phone call or a quick email!

And what you say is really secondary to what you've done. I've had people say, "If there's anything we can do, let us know". By that time, they've already done it. They told me they cared....and after that, what more is there to be done?

Second, the shame lesson. The second lesson is shame on me. Shame, shame, shame....for having so many opportunities to tell someone I cared and not doing it. All those times when I rationalized my way out of action with 'I don't know what to say, I don't know what hospital they're in, I don't have an address, I don't have time', or whatever other lame excuse I let get in the way. Thanks to cancer and thanks to all of you, I now understand.

And as the first step in my penance, I'm sending a card to Howard Logan. Howard has been told his cancer is terminal and he has no hope. I'm going to tell him I'm praying for a miracle. Maybe you could send a card, too. His address is 580 Lombard, Green River, WY 82935.

Next - Blue Bands and Rain Dancin'

3 comments:

  1. Hey Uncle Al!
    CONGRADULATIONS!!!! You are completely done with Chemo. I'm very proud that you were able to make all six treatments. From what you said, the doctors had been saying the sixth treatment is the hardest to make and sometimes they don't even do the sixth treatment. You made it and with everything you went through last week that's an amazing accomplishment. I'm still praying and thinking about you every day. You're almost to the finish line, dig deep for that last burst of strength and we'll all be waiting for you once you cross that tape. Keep going and never give up your doing great! I love you.

    Love,
    Chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al, your blog has been a wonderful way for all of us to experience what you are going through and has given us all a wake up call too! Life is a precious commodity and so many of us waste it away by worrying about the little things and the material things. Thank you for sharing with us. We think of you everyday and are counting the days with you to end of the treatment. You are an amazing person!

    Love, Mike and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still don't know how all this technology stuff works. Don't even know if this will get through to you. But here goes...... You and I have talked a number of times since your diagnosis. You say you are humbled and appreciate all the cards, letters, calls and baskets. This doesn't happen by accident. Other's care because you have always cared. Have you missed some opportunities to make an impression. Yup, we all do. But you and Faith have always been there for family, friends, community and profession. And buddy what goes around, comes around. People are there for you because you have been there for them. You both deserve and have earned the outpouring of support.

    On a personal note you and Faith may remember a four hour trip to friends in need just because you thought it was right. It was, and will never be forgotten. You will get through this trial in your life and it does help to be lifted up by the support of others. Now four more radiation treatments you are on the downhill side.

    It will be amazing that in retrospect you'll find out how this will make you stronger in many aspects of your life. How much you will appreciate "life". And buddy, you are pretty exceptional already.

    Love, Marty and Deb

    ReplyDelete