Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Decision -

I have been extremely hesitant to take this step, to write about my cancer, to be this personal in public. I feared it would be seen as an assumed pompous act, which I assure you it isn't, or a presumed act of import, which most certainly it is not. I'm taking this step for two reasons. I've learned a lot in the past few months and feel a responsibility to share with all who are interested. And two, I have received so many cards, visits, and phone calls with words of support and inquiries to my health, that I am overwhelmed and feel an obligation to share with all who care.


Step One -

I'm a talker....not a writer. So if at times I sound more awkward than usual, it's because I'm using unsharpened tools in inexperienced hands. I hope content overcomes deficiencies in style and technique. (I couldn't find a ghost writer.)

This will be a current affairs, sort of regular but not necessarily daily, contribution through The Radio Network website. Simply go to our website at www.theradionetwork.net and click on my blog (I think it will be a picture). Since I'm roughly half way through my treatment regiment, from time to time I'll flashback to some previous moments.

I welcome your responses and look forward to reading them. If my facts are wrong, please tell me so I can correct my mistakes. If our opinions disagree, I'll listen, but we still may disagree. And if my expressed feelings are different than yours.......that may never change, but I'll always respect what you feel. Know it is my deepest intention to offend no one.

Until now my personal life, in contrast to my fairly public professional life, been as private as was possible. This decision to share my personal life comes with some trepidation, but I think I'm prepared for the inevitable pitfalls and potholes along the way. The decision was actually made the day Faith and I announced on our radio show that I had cancer and we would be leaving the show for a couple of months.


Current Affairs -

I'm now in my fourth week of treatment. Treatment consists of chemotherapy once a week and radiation five times a week. I'm being treated at the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City as an out-patient and come home on weekends. Faith is with me most of the time, despite me assuring her she doesn't need to accompany me. One of things I've learned is that line is BS. I not only need her with me, it's important to the positive attitude required by the healing process.

How am I feeling? Well, a few months ago I was very sick and felt GREAT! Today, I'm still very sick, but I'm not feeling so good. Nothing bad.....yet......just not good. The nurses say that's good because it means the treatments is working. That's the upside down world of cancer. More on that later.


Next -

What kind of cancer do I have?

3 comments:

  1. Love you dad! Let's get this thing kicked in the butt so you can come home. We miss you!
    -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't a day that doesn't go by that we don't think of you and send our good thoughts and prayers your way. People ask me about the blue wristband I am wearing and I tell them it is for a very special person in our lives. We love the idea of the blog! Even though you are a talker, you're a great writer too. Stay strong!
    Love, Mike and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think and pray for you daily and want you back on the radio bringing us laughs and info. We miss you both in the mornings. Very concerned, Wayne and Paula

    ReplyDelete