Friday, July 2, 2010

Bands be gone!

Yesterday I had another CT Scan in Salt Lake City. It was the three month follow up from the scan we had last March.

I did the scan in the morning and met with the doctor in the afternoon. I was ushered into a room where I was first checked out by a young doctor doing her residency. She said Dr. Ying was reviewing my scan and would be in briefly.

As five minutes turned into fifteen, my mind raced through numerous scenarios. Obviously, the scan was not good and it was taking her a long time to work through all the stuff. Then I thought, no, she probably got held up with another patient and she's just running behind. But, no, I've never waited this long before. But if it were not good, surely she would be here by now. Something else must be causing the delay. No, the doctor in residency said she was looking at my scan.....so what's taking so long.

As fifteen minutes turned into thirty, my naturally nervous energy was about to redline. That's when the door opened and she said the scan was good.

Now most people would be relieved and maybe even cheer. But I have learned that the word good is subjective and requires further explanation. I said, " What do you mean by good?" My 'good' was the lump from the previous scan was gone and there were no new reasons for alarm.
She said, "The lump is still there, but it hasn't changed." Then she added, to my relief, "The fact that it hasn't changed in three months means it's not cancer. If it were cancer, it would have grown. We all have lumps!"

She went on to say she was not concerned about it and that we could wait six months for the next scan and next visit (actually, next November). She preceded to examine my neck and throat and concluded by saying I look good.....I look healthy.

Now that's 'good'............because I feel good and my body tells me I'm healthy.

My annual check up is in August. Yes, it will have been a year since I finished by treatment. They'll do a thyroid test and chest xrays along with a look see by the other doctor.

So, in my humble opinion, those still wearing the blue rubber wristbands can replace them with something more stylish. Thank you for your months of visual support. I may not have always mentioned it, but I always saw your wristband, and it was always uplifiting to me. It was a silent showing of support, support that overwhelmed me and was not completely understandable, but most appreciated. It was support that strengthened me and kept me focused. And thanks to everyone who has kept me in their prayers and often expressed concern. You have been the best medicine.

I'm taking my band off today. I'm sure I will feel a little strange without it, but I'm sure I can get use to it. Faith and I will plan a band burying celebration......a ceremonial good riddance. We'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment